Access Self Storage Blog
Top 5 Storage Mistakes
Access Self Storage has been a leading industry expert since 1976. As I'm sure you can imagine, we have plenty of dos and don'ts collected from the travails of customers throughout our 44 year history. A poll of our employees has yielded our list of the Top 5 Storage Mistakes NOT to make:
- Failing to insure your items – as stated in a previous blog, the storage center is not responsible for losses of any kind and does not insure your items. Check with your insurance agent to see if your homeowner or renter’s policy covers items placed in storage. If not, there is low cost insurance available at our storage centers. Insurance on items is a requirement for renting a storage unit. If it’s worth insuring, it’s worth storing!
- Using newspaper to wrap items – the ink on newspaper can smudge and bleed causing unnecessary work by making the items dirty. You cleaned them before you put the in storage. Why clean them again when they come out? It is also possible that newspaper can damage certain items. Use ink-free wrapping paper which can be purchased at any of our storage centers.
- Storing food – this may seem as stating the obvious, but it does bear repeating: do NOT store food, of any kind, in any container. It’s simple: food will attract pests.
- Not having enough time or help – moving is extremely stressful and it can be difficult to keep track of everything. It is essential to make sure you have enough time and help to complete your move. There is nothing worse than having closing time looming and you’re only halfway done. Rushing to pack a storage unit tends to leave things unorganized and could cause damage. And not having enough help could cause damage to your body! Make sure you are lifting correctly! Check with your storage center to see if they offer a move in truck.
- Not labeling boxes – there is nothing more frustrating than looking for something and having to go through boxes that are not labelled. For your own piece of mind, label the boxes with a number and the general contents. Keep a detailed list for each box. That way, when you are looking for something you simply refer to the list. Our storage centers maintain a supply of boxes and packing materials for purchase.
Access Self Storage strives to make your experience as stress-free as possible. Avoiding these storage mistakes is one way that helps.
Other Articles for You
Improvements to Make Around Your Home Before the Baby Arrives
With a baby on the way, there's a lot that goes through your mind. Do you have everything you need ready before bringing them home? What's the cost of daycare around Oakland, NJ? Access Self Storage is here to offer quick tips on how to baby-proof your home and how to take advantage of storage space to make the transition easier with the arrival of your child.Read
Checklist: Steps to Take Before Officially Moving Out of an Apartment
If you're ready for a change of scenery but aren't sure what needs to be done before you leave, an apartment move-out checklist may be just what you need. Tackling these tasks will help you keep your security deposit and stay organized at the same time. The Access Self Storage team in Woodbridge, NJ, has assisted many storage unit customers manage moves, and we hope these tips help make relocating easier for you, too.Read
Make Your Home Cozy and Clutter-Free with Hygge
It's not hard to imagine why the concept of hygge is so appealing, both to the Scandinavians who invented it and the rest of us who have embraced it. After all, the Norwegian -- or, more specifically, Danish -- word loosely translates to “quiet comfort”. Who couldn't use a little of that in these unprecedented times?Read